[AccessD] more on early versus late binding

Mcgillivray, Donald [ITS] donald.a.Mcgillivray at mail.sprint.com
Mon Jul 12 17:38:27 CDT 2004

To the extent that I can call myself a programmer (not far I promise!)
I'm totally self-taught, so when topics like this come up, I follow them
with an eye toward expanding my knowledge and understanding of the finer
points.  That said, I'm not sure I follow the distinction between the
two examples you cite.  True, one assigns a specific value directly to
the variable, while the other calls a separate function to do so, but
the choice of one over the other is less a matter of speed versus
flexibility than it is a matter of what's available at runtime to assign
to the variable.  If the value is unknown until retrieved via some other
process, there really isn't much choice, is there?  Similarly, if the
value IS known and can be reliably coded into the procedure (number of
days in a week, for example), why run some other procedure to retrieve
it?  Whether "hard-coded" or dynamic, neither one actually does anything
until the code is run, right?  Or am I misunderstanding something in the
concept being illustrated?