[AccessD] more on early versus late binding

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 14 10:17:38 CDT 2004

My understanding is it's each time you use it because VBA has to go get the
particular info for the property, method, whatever.

I'm also curious about the speed issue -- I think many times, the things we
"learn" are holdovers from the old days when systems really were slow and
memory really was an issue. I can't imagine the performance hit for even
being noticeable. But then, you might actually see it -- I know I've got a
list box that drives me nuts -- first time I use it every day, it takes a
second or so to load -- so if this is happening every time... It might
actually be important.

Does anyone have in actual experience to share on the speed issue?

Susan H.

John:

Another clarification, please:  "...every time the function is called."

Does this mean every time the "Set ojbX = " is executed or every time I
reference the object while I've got the object open.  I might set an object
to a spread sheet or word doc once but refer to it thousands of times before
I close it.

And maybe I'm writing simple apps, but I've pretty much given up trying to
optimize my code up front for speed and gone for clarity and maintainability
instead.  Because it doesn't seem to make any difference.  I rarely have a
client say something is running too slow.