[AccessD] moving focus off the tab page

Colby, John JColby at dispec.com
Mon Jul 19 11:39:49 CDT 2004

LOL.  I think you misunderstood the question.

When a tabbed form opens, the tab control tends to have the focus, usually
with the tab0 page of the tab control.

I want to place the control into the first control on the selected tab that
can validly recieve the focus.  This means:

The control with the Lowest Tabindex that has TabStop = true that is Enabled
that is Visible.

IF I used Sendkeys I could just send a tab key which would cause Access to
tab the cursor into the first valid control.

Since I don't use Sendkeys, I need another way to do this.

Somewhere in the guts of Access (page control) there is a collection of
items that may (or are) be in the tab order.  Unfortunately it doesn't
appear to be exposed for us to use.

I have built a pair of functions to find the first control that can receive
the focus.  It involves iterating the collection of all controls, testing
each control to see if it has a TabStop property, then if it is enabled,
then if it is visible.  If all these things are true, then this control MAY
be the first in the tab order.  Now each such control is tested against
every other such control to find the one with the lowest TabIndex property.

It works, and on my machine takes about 16ms to run on a fairly complex
form.

It just seems that somewhere built in to Access I should be able to ask the
object with a controls collection which control in the collection is the
"first valid control in the tab order", i.e. which control can ACTUALLY
RECEIVE the focus using the tab key.

JWC