[AccessD] VB.NET

DWUTKA at marlow.com DWUTKA at marlow.com
Tue Jun 1 16:37:01 CDT 2004

That's why I'm a little leary of ASP.NET.  Not so much about the latest
gadgets being able to use limited versions, but OLDER versions of a browser
that doesn't have a clue about a javascript line.

As for the VB/.NET comparison.  I agree that most of it is style related.
However, I would like to clarify a few things:

Initialize/Terminate: I see what you mean now, about sending arguments into
a class when created. I too have created many a class where I have built a
'GetData' or 'Startup' function to perform startup code, only after various
elements have been set.  However, that doesn't mean that VB 6.0's process is
flaky.  .NET has improved the capability, not the stability.  That is a BIG
difference in my book.

The Function/Sub bracket issue.  Um, I don't think I have used 'Call' since
the first few months of programming.  To me it's just obbvious, Standalone
no parenthesis required, as an 'argument' or on the right side of an
equation, then you use parenthesis.  I can see how forcing them to always be
there would make it 'consistent', in a manner of speaking, but to me that is
just a nuance.

As for API's, ya, I've found a lot of people shy away from API's.  It took a
few months to get into, but after that, I can't get enough of them.  I have
to agree the LoWord/HiWord issue is a little bit of a pain, but I have found
that the MSDN has documentation on every API (almost) that I have come
across.

I almost never use arrays, unless I am forced too.  An example of where I am
forced....Split().  It returns an array.  Since I have delved into
collections, I have never looked back.  Are you saying that .NET let's you
search AND sort collections?  Personally I 'build' my collection 'sorted' if
I need it to be, and if I need to search, I am usually creating the key off
of what I am going to most frequently be using as a 'search' key.

Haven't done much with serial comms in VB.  Just never needed too.

Over all, still nothing that blows my skirt up! <grin> (I know I'm going to
hear something about THAT comment! LOL)

Inheritance and the constructors sound neat, but there I have done without
for quite sometime.  It's not that I don't want to try it out, and get used
to it (cause I DID 'review' those movies, so my copies on it's way), but I
just have so much in my current 'model', it's just habit to kick stuff out
in that format.  Know what I mean?  Maybe I'll try tackling a few 'stand
alone' projects with it.

Drew