[AccessD] PrivDBEngine object no longer works on some XP machines

John Skolits Support at CorporateDataDesign.com
Mon Jun 7 10:17:35 CDT 2004

Anyone run into a problem where the PrivDBEngine objects doesn't work on
some XP machines?

I've been using this routine for years. It allows me to make database
changes to secure databases as long as I have the correct system.mdw
security file.

Specs: Written in Access 2000. Resides in an Access 200 MDE library file.
Problem occurs runtime or even if PC is already loaded with Access 2000, or
XP loaded. Very intermittant.
Comes up with an ODBC error/DSN error.
Here is a snippet of code:

It breaks at line 160

Snippet:

      Dim dbe As DAO.PrivDBEngine
      Dim wsp As DAO.Workspace
      Dim dbEXT_Database As DAO.Database
      Dim strSecurityFileName As String

30    strSecurityFileName="c:\test\system.mdw"

90    Set dbe = New PrivDBEngine
100   With dbe
110        .SystemDB = strSecurityFileName
120        .DefaultUser = "USER"
130        .DefaultPassword = "PASSWORD"
140    End With
150    Set wsp = dbe.Workspaces(0)  'systemdb is locked in now

      'Check the table from the external back end. If There return a true

160   Set dbEXT_Database = wsp.OpenDatabase(strDataBaseFileName)

ALSO, Teery Kreft has done some work in this area. Anyone have her web site
or email address?

John Skolits