[AccessD] OT: The Great Primary Debate

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Jun 7 18:37:28 CDT 2004

On 7 Jun 2004 at 13:27, Ken Ismert wrote:

> 3. That's why I said auto-generated! This is where relying on a ANPK can
> cause you problems: you can't extend the table without ruining your
> calculations.
>

> For regular, sequential data (no interruptions) with a single field natural
> key, or any data where a unique key can be mathematically calculated (as
> above), you can make an argument that ANPK is redundant, and can actually
> make the data more difficult to work with. This is where intent of the data,
> and your data modeling style, plays the deciding role in your PK choice.

In your data dimension table example, you are creating a meaningful field
SequentialDateNumber (which you are calling ID) and are using it in data
calculations.

Thr real question in this situation is not whether you use this natural key as
a PK, but whether you have a PK in the table at all - which comes down to the
sub-debate about "what is a PK and what is it used for" :-)

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg