[AccessD] combo box Limit to List question

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 8 16:27:45 CDT 2004

I've lost track of the question by now, Susan.  In a one-column list, the
only column happens to be the bound column because there's no other choice.
If the hidden column in a multicolumn combobox is the bound column (it
doesn't have to be) then you need to populate that in order to create a new
record.  Access doesn't care which column you bind to, but it only knows
automatically how to handle a bound first column when values are entered
into it, just as it can handle the single column list.  Otherwise, it
requires the NotInList event to do the handling.
What's unreasonable about that? Remember that the combo box can only save
*one* value, which means all the other columns are for matching or
displaying information.  If you don't populate the bound column either by
typing in a value or by using the NotInList event, Access doesn't know what
you want to enter/save.

;) There really wasn't a question, just an observation. As for the rest --
you would have the same problem in a single-column list if the single column
was fed by a table with restrictive properties -- validation rules, required
fields -- there's nothing unique about the subsequent problems adding the
item could rise.

I didn't say it was unreasonable -- I don't believe I ever said anything
like that. I'm saying, I think that it's something they could've just as
easily given us a work around for if they'd wanted to bother.

Susan H.