[AccessD] OT: The Great Primary Debate

Ken Ismert KIsmert at TexasSystems.com
Wed Jun 9 17:34:58 CDT 2004

Gustav,

Aww... I'm not being sensitive... just my lame attempt at self-deprecating
humor :-) I don't have the talent for sparking flame-fests that some others
in this group do...

I agree -- the Autonumber PK is the normal choice, paired with a business or
natural key.

Things would be so much simpler on Planet Marklar. On Marklar (familiar to
viewers of South Park), all people and things are named 'Marklar'. This
causes no confusion for Marklarians, who can easily distinguish between any
two Marklars.

I suppose, in Marklarian relational theory, all tables would share a single
primary key value: 'Marklar', and have one attribute: 'Marklar'. That would
make data-modeling on Marklar either the easiest or most-insanity inducing
job imaginable.

-Ken