[AccessD] Recording field changes

Jim Lawrence (AccessD) accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 22 00:14:50 CDT 2004

Hi Stuart:

In this case you are not saving two hundred fields, only the fields with
changes are stored. Access MDB uses variable length fields not fixed
length...no data no length.

Also please note that I did say ...'or at least any field that a user can
affect.'

As the tables become larger with more individual records the slower the
speed; so if a user makes, say, fifty changes to a large record, there is a
potential for fifty individual records being created in the transaction
file. Now that could add-up very rapidly and the overhead would finally
degrade performance.

My recommendation is that for each separate change/session, only one
transaction record is created for any and all changes to any fields of that
record and only the changes are stored. Like an incremental backup/change
log and incremental backups are always fastest. Handling this type of system
may be simpler using an unbound format but it should be as simple as
comparing the differences between the field's 'text' and 'value' properties
in bound format.

HTH
Jim