[AccessD] Re: Hiding Back End Design

Robert L. Stewart rl_stewart at highstream.net
Tue Jun 22 12:56:37 CDT 2004

Rocky,

Or you could take a cue from commercial software like Remedy (Help Desk
Tickets using Oracle) and do something like this:

CREATE TABLE H181 (
ENTRYID VARCHAR2(15) NOT NULL,
T0 NUMBER(15) NULL,
U0 VARCHAR2(30) NULL,
T1 NUMBER(15) NULL,
U1 VARCHAR2(30) NULL,
T2 NUMBER(15) NULL,
U2 VARCHAR2(30) NULL,
T3 NUMBER(15) NULL,
U3 VARCHAR2(30) NULL,
T4 NUMBER(15) NULL,
U4 VARCHAR2(30) NULL,
T5 NUMBER(15) NULL,
U5 VARCHAR2(30) NULL
);

OR

CREATE TABLE T181 (
C1 VARCHAR2(15) NOT NULL,
C2 VARCHAR2(30) NULL,
C3 NUMBER(15) NOT NULL,
C4 VARCHAR2(30) NULL,
C5 VARCHAR2(30) NOT NULL,
C6 NUMBER(15) NOT NULL,
C7 NUMBER(15) NOT NULL,
C8 VARCHAR2(128) NOT NULL,
C20000998 VARCHAR2(10) NULL,
C20000999 VARCHAR2(10) NULL,
C200000003 VARCHAR2(50) NULL,
C200000004 VARCHAR2(50) NULL,
C200000005 VARCHAR2(50) NULL,
C200000006 VARCHAR2(50) NULL,
C200000007 VARCHAR2(40) NULL,
C200000012 VARCHAR2(30) NULL,
C230000009 VARCHAR2(30) NULL,
C230000010 CLOB NULL,
C240000000 VARCHAR2(30) NULL,
C240000001 VARCHAR2(128) NULL,
C240000002 VARCHAR2(30) NULL,
C240000003 VARCHAR2(70) NULL,
C240000004 VARCHAR2(30) NULL,
C240000005 VARCHAR2(30) NULL,
C240000006 VARCHAR2(128) NULL,
C240000007 CLOB NULL,
C240000008 CLOB NULL,
C240000009 NUMBER(15) NULL,
C240000010 NUMBER(15) NULL,
C240000011 NUMBER(15) NULL,
C240000012 CLOB NULL,
C240000015 VARCHAR2(128) NULL,
C240000016 VARCHAR2(128) NULL,
C536871560 NUMBER(15) NULL,
C536871562 NUMBER(15) NULL,
C536871564 NUMBER(15) NULL,
C536871570 NUMBER(15) NULL,
C536871572 NUMBER(15) NULL,
C536871589 VARCHAR2(50) NULL,
C536871604 NUMBER(15) NULL,
C536871618 NUMBER(15) NULL,
C536871621 NUMBER(15) NULL,
C536871649 VARCHAR2(50) NULL
);

They use an ODBC driver they developed to show the English names for the
columns.  And it actually does a join on some of the tables to get the
information to display.

Personally, I have not found a system that I could not reverse engineer if
I had the database table structure.  But the "Remedy method" makes it
extremely difficult.

Robert