[AccessD] notes on mdb bloat

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Mar 3 08:01:09 CST 2004

Hi Seth et all

In Garry Robinson's newsletter I noted this extremely interesting topic:

SINGLE RECORD LOCKING, BLOAT AND CITRIX BUGS

Did you know that the record-level locking option (menu
Tools~Options~Advanced) that is used by Access 2000 onwards has an
interesting twist. To achieve a single record lock, each record that
is locked uses up all of an Access page in the mdb file. This page of
data, most of which will probably be empty for records with only a few
fields, consumes 4000 bytes. This space is later recovered when the
database is compacted but if you have a database that seems to expand
fast, this could be your culprit. For more on this database bloat and
a possible cure for Access corruptions for Citrix head to this page.

http://ewbi.blogs.com/develops/2004/01/access_corrupti.html

and an other blog on the same topic
http://dbforums.com/arch/213/2002/10/551337

Gary is here: