[AccessD] Drew - Age of the Archives?

Jürgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 4 13:12:01 CST 2004

My last presentation fell completely apart.  I attended a provinical
construction association annual banquet to accept an industry award for
innovation for an application I had written for a former employer, now
client, Gracom Masonry.  The client gave me a typical 'secured' laptop
(paranoid parent company security) a few days in advance to prepare a short
demo.  The plan was to demonstrate a typical cycle of the steps to enter a
new bid request to takeoff to estimate to tender to award to management and
some of the reporting capability.  The client flew me to the city a day
early so I could drop in one of their local offices and ensure all was well.
  I checked the banquet facility and the projector was running an identical
make and model laptop when I dropped in.  In fact, they had set up a rear
projection system capable of running 1600 * 1200 resolution from the VGA
connector complete with switch boxes to hookup multiple concurrent VGA
connectors.  I even had dial up access to the terminal server in case
anything went south on the laptop.  When it came down to the evening, it
turned out there were video driver issues on the laptop that ONLY AFFECTED
THE VGA OUT!!!  The laptop would output to the external VGA port until the
login screen closed so it was not a hardware issue.  Typical company
security prevents a means of transferring files to another machine (disabled
USB and no floppy or CD Writer).  Parent company called in an MSCE tech at
the 11th hour to the presentation site but it was not possible to resolve
the issues nor to migrate any of the functionality to another machine in the
time remaining.

I had done several training sessions in the past using their laptops in
addition to some presentations at a local Access user group using the
company laptops so I never bothered to check the VGA out against a monitor
in a timely fashion.  Next time I bring my own laptop as a spare, a backup
Power Point demo on CD and a plan on how to present should the projector
fail.  The result was that a fabulous marketing opportunity turned to dust
as I was reduced to telling a hall full of people about all the wonderful
things the application could do when my plan was a quick and carefully
planned demo/script of how fast and easy it was to get a job done.  A
technology award for an outfit that can't use technology?

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta
jwelz at hotmail.com