[AccessD] Your favorite control behavior

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Sun Mar 7 00:48:35 CST 2004

This is a little bit off topic, perhaps. One of the most frustrating
things for me about Access is the repetitive stuff I have to do to
fields of a similar type. For example, I might want every date field in
every form to have a given format and input mask, or make every yes/no
in a table have the checkbox style, or every occurrence of CustomerID to
(save the one in the Customers table) have the same combo-box
characteristics including the query, column widths etc. Currently what I
do, and it's admittedly lame, is create a worktable containing all this
stuff and then paste from there into the tables as I need the various
fields. Really bugs me to do it this way -- especially if I change my
mind later -- then I have to visit every occurrence of field x and
update its new spec. Really bugs me!

I realize that you're talking about classes not table specs, and I know
from previous discussions that I do a LOT more work at this level than
you do, and I don't really want to have that discussion again. I'm just
wondering if anyone has a brilliant method of specifying the
characteristics of a field in every table where it occurs.

Arthur