[AccessD] Framework Discussion - Who's following this

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Mar 9 21:23:08 CST 2004

Ken,

>Deciding what the framework will and won't do beforehand guides
development, and helps keep feature bloat from delaying a timely finish.

Yea... in a perfect world.  Unfortunately for most of us a framework is not
a project which we spec out and write, but rather a living entity that we
add functionality to on a weekly basis.  Thus feature bloat is an inherent
part of doing business, and there is never a finish, much less a timely one!
;-)

>Write code that is spare, obvious and well thought out, like Shaker or
Biedermeier furniture.

And never reference things like Biedermeier furniture without copious
comments as to what the heck it might be.  <grin>

>Accept the limitations of your platform. Frameworks can't make up for
system shortcomings.

I understand what you are saying (and your example is a perfect one),
however I think it is important to NEVER accept the limitations of your
platform.  Much of what my framework does is nothing more than an attempt by
me to program around the limitations of Access.  To the degree that I
succeed, I make myself (or my framework) more valuable to my client.  If I
fail to make the attempt then I end up just another developer, building just
another app, with nothing to differentiate me from the next guy to walk in
the door.

furthermore:

* Comment, comment, comment!
* Use conventions.  There are many levels to conventions from object naming,
to interfaces between objects, to systems for troubleshooting, to the way
forms and controls behave across the application.  Develop them and then
apply them consistently.  There is nothing more frustrating to a user than
an application where behaviors like NotInList work here but a bizarre Access
error message pops up over there.

Thanks for your input Ken, I am hoping to get more people with your level of
expertise to pipe up with their collective wisdom.