[AccessD] DependentObjects class

Bryan Carbonnell Bryan_Carbonnell at cbc.ca
Thu Mar 11 08:56:07 CST 2004

> Obviously if we add combo A to combo B's DependentObject collection
and we
> add Combo B to Combo A's dependent object collection, then we start
an
> endless loop where A requeries B which requeries A which requeries
B...

Maybe Im missing something painfully obvious but.....

Why would you end up with an endless loop?

Here is what I am understanding...

If A is dependant on B and B is dependant on A, they need to be
requeried when the other's value changes.

Since you are adding to A, then the logical assumption is that the
value of A will change to the newly entered value. But B's value won't
change, wil it? The underlying datasource may change, but the actual
value won't. So since Bs value didn't change A won't need to be
requried. Therefore no loop.

Or the other way around:

Since you are adding to B, then the logical assumption is that the
value of B will change to the newly entered value. But A's value won't
change, wil it? The underlying datasource may change, but the actual
value won't. So since As value didn't change B won't need to be
requried. Therefore no loop.

No??

Like I said I may be missing something painfully obvious. It wouldn't
be the first time :-)

Bryan Carbonnell
bryan_carbonnell at cbc.ca

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 11-Mar-04 12:11:22 AM >>>
I am working on a dependentobjects class, i.e. a class with a
collection
which holds objects (classes) where the control or form is dependent on
the
current control.  Combo A changes.  Combo B uses Combo A to filter
itself.
Combo B is "dependent" on combo A and must be requeried whenever Combo
changes.

There is a case where two combos on a form may display data from the
same
table.  For example two combos both display cities from the cities
lookup
table.  If Combo A NotInList adds a new city. Combo B needs to requery
in
order to display that new city if necessary.  However if Combo B adds
the
city, then Combo A needs to requery.

Obviously if we add combo A to combo B's DependentObject collection and
we
add Combo B to Combo A's dependent object collection, then we start an
endless loop where A requeries B which requeries A which requeries
B...

This is a case where I programmed a solution working but it was ugly.
How
would you solve this problem?