[AccessD] DependentObjects class

Bryan Carbonnell Bryan_Carbonnell at cbc.ca
Fri Mar 12 10:45:08 CST 2004

> In addition, in many cases where I have seen this sort of "one combo
> depends on another's value" thing done, it is IMO frequently the
result
> of bad design at the database level. For example, a table contains
say
> State and City fields, populated from the tables States and Cities
--
> and then the UI filters the Cities field on the basis of the State
> selection: bad design, IMO. There's no need to store the State, since
we
> have the city, and New York exists in only one state.

Storing the State is not required if you know the city?? IMO that is
rubbish!!!! How do you differentiate between the 7 New Yorks in the US
if you don't store the state?

New York,NY
New York,TX
New York,FL
New York,IA
New York,KY
New York,MO
New York,NM

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?city=New%20York&country=US to
check for yourself.

Bryan Carbonnell
bryan_carbonnell at cbc.ca

>>> artful at rogers.com 12-Mar-04 1:48:38 PM >>>
Further, in the O-O courses that I have taken this kind of thing is
specifically discouraged because it tightly couples the controls.
Instead, they recommend creating creating a class that holds both
controls as attributes of the class. This may or may not work in VBA,
of
course.