[AccessD] active design view in mde

A.D.Tejpal adtp at touchtelindia.net
Sun Mar 14 12:16:02 CST 2004

John,

    Design view of forms is not permitted in an .mde file. Importing of forms from other db's (whether .mdb or .mde type) into an .mde is also not permitted. Even inclusion of Reference (in VBA Editor) to an .mdb file won't do as that makes the main .mdb non-convertible to .mde format.

    In order to overcome these obstacles, a work-around could be adopted if mere run-time availability of such functionality would serve the purpose. This requires creation of an Add-In (.mda) file containing a blank form. Entry module for this Add-In should envisage opening of this form.

    Once this Add-In is installed, it can be activated from within the main .mde file. The form exposed by the Add-In can be used in design or normal views as desired and can be referred and manipulated just as any other form in the main db.

    Caution -  If the Add-In is activated via code contained in .mde file, care needs to be taken to allow for a little time delay before executing the procedure meant to act upon the form newly exposed by the Add-In. This is in order to allow this  form to actually come into existence. Otherwise, there will be error on a/c of Access not being able to locate the form in question. The loop for time delay should also contain DoEvents statement.

    If you have any problems, kindly do let me know.

Regards,
A.D.Tejpal