[AccessD] OT - Internet Explorer 6.0

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Mar 16 12:02:28 CST 2004

On 16 Mar 2004 at 15:21, paul.hartland at fsmail.net wrote:

> windows 98SE is what I have at home

First thing is to find out is what DNS Server your PC is using - this
is probably set by your ISP when he allocates your IP Addresses.

Look in your network settings and look at the TCP/IP settings for
your internet connection. See whether you have  DNS server(s) hard
configured or whether you are set up to get one automatically when
you get your IP address.

Then you need to see what your current DNS Server is. IIRC in W9x,
(I'm working from memory here, in W2K you  use IPCONFIG /ALL), you
need to open a command prompt and type WINIPCFG.

That should give you a box containing details of your current IP
configuration, hopefully showing the current DNS Server(s).

Now from a command prompt, try pinging the address of the DNS server.
If it times out, you have found your problem - you can't reach it.

If you can ping it, try pinging something like microsoft.com - if you
get an 'Unknwon host" returned rather than an IP address for
microsoft, there is a problem at the DNS Server.

If it returns a valid ping, then we need to start looking elsewhere.

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg