[AccessD] Lookup Fields in Table Design

DWUTKA at marlow.com DWUTKA at marlow.com
Thu Mar 25 18:06:01 CST 2004

HUH?

I've already listed many advantages to using a Lookup definition in a
table's field.  I'm not going to go over them again.  Just read the last
several posts.

Next, saying there is a performance decrease, and SHOWING there is a
performance decrease, are two totally separate things.  I saw NO difference
with 200,000 records.  Over a million records? sure. 0*5....is....oh shoot,
I used to know my math....oh ya ZERO!  Now granted, if I saw no difference
with 5 records, there could be a fudge factor in there.  But I didn't see a
difference with 200,000 records.  NONE.

Why wasn't there a difference?  Simple, BECAUSE IT'S NOT A JOIN, IT'S NOT A
LINK, IT'S A LOOKUP!!!!  That means, that it is ONLY looking up the
Rowsource (unless you use a callback, then it's The rowsource TYPE), when a
particular field is entered.  When you pull up a billion zillion records, it
isn't running the lookup 'query' a billion zillion times!!!!  It doesn't do
that with a combo box, on a continuous form, does it?  Nope, it doesn't do
it with lookups either.

Okay, you REALLY want to proof yourself wrong?  Here's a challenge.  Build a
local Access table, and put a lookup field, that references your SQL server.
Watch your SQL server transaction/processes.  Do you see it pegging?  No,
because it doesn't query it for every record.  It hits the lookup table to
make sure it's there, and that's it!  You can't PUT a Join into a Lookup
field! (Yes, you can use a join in an SQL table, but you can't refer to a
field in a particular record, within the Lookup field (ie, base a list of
something off of a specific field within the table.).).

Drew