Lookup Fields: Was: RE: [AccessD] Fr at mework Discussion - set up q uestion

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Fri Mar 26 11:02:27 CST 2004

DWUTKA at marlow.com said the following on 3/26/2004 8:38 AM:

>Let me ask you a question though, because you and I have agreed on a lot of
>other things before, so I'm a little shocked on your position on this.  If
>you have an Address table, (for US clients....for this example), and you
>want to get the two letter state abbreviation, do you simply give them a
>textbox, or do you give them a combo that builds itself from a 'State'
>table?  I go with the state table.  And since I may have multiple forms
>based on that table, I usually use a Lookup field, so that when I build the
>form, that combo is predefined.

This particular example is kind of bad (for me), because I try to create
one form for one purpose, thus the data entry screen for addresses is
done on one form, thus end users use the same form to add/edit addresses
that require the combobox that points to a table of states.  So yes,
that's a lookup on the "FORM" not the base table.  That has no point...

so I have one need for the state combobox.. why build it at the table
level?  and I encourage for my users to type in the zipcode first so
they don't usually search for states... :)

--
-Francisco