[AccessD] OT: Hard Drives, RAID, backup setup

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Mar 26 20:30:34 CST 2004

>Let's say available budget is about 1K right now (I guess that should have
been stated from the start!)

Hell, with 1K for a budget you can have (8) 120 gb SATA hard disks.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-152-017&depa=0

A 64 bit PCI 8 port SATA controller with Raid 0,1,5, and 10. (use raid 5)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=16-115-019&depa=0&
section=1

And a pretty good article on the whole raid thing.

http://www4.tomshardware.com/storage/20031114/index.html

Nothing like a terrabyte of hard disk to keep ya for awhile.

Of course you might need a new chassis and PS to hold the thing.

;-)