[AccessD] Lookup Fields in Table Design

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Sat Mar 27 15:44:33 CST 2004

Ken:
They are embedded in Access, whether or not you use them to your advantage
so this point is "moot".

John

Tell me, who in the general database community thinks this is a good idea?
Please, show me the data modeling book that has a step that says "embed
client-side UI elements in the table design".

Looking beyond the uncertainty that table lookup fields introduce to the
reliability of the backend, I honestly can't see how you are going to get
ahead in the long run with it. It fills no functional niche that isn't
covered by more standard, broadly accepted techniques. Finally, it is the
little hassles that this feature consistently gives that have caused me to
largely abandon it.

-Ken