[AccessD] Lookup Fields in Table Design

DWUTKA at marlow.com DWUTKA at marlow.com
Mon Mar 29 15:27:27 CST 2004

Charlotte, that's not very nice.  I have tested everything that you and Ken
posted about this, as far as performance and bloat.  Neither of those were
true, and I posted step by steps on what I did to test it, and provided code
when necessary.  Space used by the Lookup fields is no more then if you just
setup a relationship.  And that is if you are using a lookup table/query.
If you use a callback function, or a Value list, then there is no increase
at all.  No speed difference either, because it has been shown that it's
just a property, which is only used in the GUI, whether it's a query or
table interface, or if it's designing a form.  (Once a form is designed, the
lookup field can be overridden, since it is only a default control).

Ken did use a scenario, a third generation db using tables setup originally
with Lookups, as an example of how a lookup can cause trouble.  He did show
that they could be an issue.  However, his example showed poor development
along the way. (The original database was built and worked for it's purpose,
the second generation was a copy of the first, but nothing was done to make
it unique in it's purpose.  The third generation could then not be simply a
join between the first two.).  Not saying Ken is a poor developer, just that
his example assumed poor development along the way.  That reinforces that if
you don't know what you are doing, then things can go awry.  But that holds
true with LOTS of stuff within Access.

So, tell me what's wrong, if a developer creates a database and uses a
Lookup field.  let's be specific.  let's say Joe Schmoe builds a simple
database for a client who wants to keep track of it's employees.  In the
Marital Status column, the developer sets the field to be a lookup, with a
Value list of 'Married;Separated;Single;Divorced;Widow(er)'.  What is wrong
with that scenario?  Let's say Joe Schmoe is on the wrong end of a Widowed
employee, and the company needs a developer to upgrade the database to a
newer version of Access.  They hire someone from the middle east, who is a
wiz at Access, but doesn't write english very well.  Joe Schmoe's lookup
field allows the foriegn developer to use the initial table design with no
further ado.  Is that not an advantage?

I'm still trying to be civil, because you're right, I do believe in my
opinion.  That doesn't mean I can't change my opinion.  When we had the
discussion about using a Date Table, I did some testing, and found out that
I was wrong, thus changing my opinion, based on facts presented.  I'm still
willing to do that, but I haven't been presented with facts, only scenarios
which only reinforce the 'you must know what you are doing' clause.

Drew