[AccessD] OT: A survey from somebody not as well-connected as JC

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Tue Mar 30 08:46:51 CST 2004

Kath,

>> what sort of work have you been doing mostly? <<

Custom development using Access. Right at the moment, though, I have more Paradox work: I'm implementing a custom EDI application for a client that still uses Paradox for DOS. I got him to agree to have the EDI translation part done in Access by letting him know that it would cost a *lot* more for me to write it in the Paradox Application Language. So I got him to buy a "black box" EDI management tool that includes DLLs I can reference in VBA to build and translate EDI documents. I will also be upgrading a Paradox for Windows application for another client this week. I've asked if the app might be translated to something a bit more current (not that I hate Paradox; I don't. I used to be the biggest Paradox evangelist in these here parts: classes, user group, newsletter...It's just not currently being upgraded by Corel).

My recent Access apps have included one for an ergonomic therapy outfit that tracks the physical job stresses for its industrial clients with my app. And I've done quite a bit with the domestic violence shelter app I acquired last year though that looks like a long-term loser. Hard to say at this point.

>> Which tools do you use the most? <<

Access 2000, Paradox for DOS, Paradox v. 8 and 9, FMS Visual Sourcebook, FMS Codetools, Framework EDI, and VB6.

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing
Neenah, WI
920-969-0504

"Don't light a match 'til ya know which end of the dog is barkin'." - Dave Barry