[AccessD] Database design? PLEASE ADVISE

S D accessd667 at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 00:48:45 CDT 2004

Hi group,

I've worked on several projects where interfaces (text messages) where imported (from customers/third parties) and exported (to custumers/third parties). I've always seen/developed the database using tables with the exact layout of the interface. So if an interface has 4 fields (orderid, article, price, date) like this:
orderid article price date
22654hammer20.5020040526

I would create a table with these 4 fields, add some extra columns (imported date, last updated, + some columns to link to other tables for master-detail lines etc.)

Now I'm in the proces of developing a completely new system and these guys want to normalize all data. So the complete message is going to be scrambled into bits and pieces. Somehow I cannot find any good arguments to convince them that this is NOT a good approach. The only thing I seem to have accomplished is that the understand the risk of these interfaces changing (wich WILL happen) over time.

Questions:
Is my approach correct/the better one? Why?

Any ideas?

TIA

Sander