[AccessD] Access vs. Filemaker Comparison Reference?

Mackin, Christopher CMackin at Quiznos.com
Mon May 3 11:21:36 CDT 2004

Access can read info from FMP, but you MUST have FileMaker Pro open and the
specific File (table) that you are trying to read open for the ODBC
connection to work.

They have:
-No queries, but calculated fields in tables
-A UNIQUE property for fields that does not actually force things to be
unique.  It adds incermentally to a field, but if you enter a value that
already exists it won't raise an error

I really forget all the details since it's been a while, but I remember
there were about 4 or 5 very basic things about it that flew right in the
face of the relational datbase model.  Luckily i was working ona  small
system that only had 1 primary table with de-nnormalized data and a few
lookup tables, anything more than that would've been a nightmare.

In it's favor it does have cool graphics for forms, but that's about the
only good thing I can say about it.

And of course, take this with many grains of salt as I am totally biased
against it.

-Chris Mackin