[AccessD] Migrating to A2k2 => database window not visible!!

S D accessd667 at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 00:30:14 CDT 2004

Hi Stephen,

that's exactly what I mean, the users need the database container.
There's no where in the code anything that hides the db container.

About you're recomendation...I know! I've told about this app on this list before and it's horrible however the customer is satisfied with it and will not invest an eurocent to improve it.

Oh, BTW I'm the developer how inherited this this .... 'application'

thanx anyway.

Sander
PS: did I mention that this app handles CORE-BUSINESS?!

"Pickering, Stephen" <Stephen.Pickering at caremark.com> wrote:
Sander,

Do you mean that in the previous version, the database container was not
hidden on startup? The behavior you describe suggests that the Database
Window is being hidden in code (since you can bypass the AutoExec routine
by holding down the Shift key on startup).

I don't recommend users poking around in the database container, but it
sounds like you've been doing it for some time. Look at the AutoExec
macro and see what code is executing on Startup. I'll bet that somewhere
in that code is the line that hides the database container.

Is it not possible to either contact the developer, or have a developer,
either in your shop or from outside, look at the Access file and make the
modifications you require, without sending the users to the Container?
That would likely be your best bet.

HTH,

Steve

-----S D's Original Message-----

Hi group,

we're in the proces of migrating to WinXP machines with A2002. So I've
migrated the database (2 db's, FE + BE) to A2002 and double clicked the FE
and the startpage opened nicely!

Everything works fine, everything! Great eh. EXCEPT, I cannot open the
database window. In order to see the database window I need to open Access
2002, click File, Open and point to the FE WITH SHIFT pressed. After that
I see the database window (off course) and I can manually open the
startpage.

This application is so worthless that the users need access to the
database window in order to work with the application (at one point they
are using the immediate window to reassign a variable and press F5!!!!!!!)

How is it possible that I do not see the database window (it's not the
option in 'startup' I've checked that)???

TIA

Sander