[AccessD] On DB Bloat, Bad DB Design, and various

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Wed May 26 07:20:55 CDT 2004

Hi John

>> As some examples, ISO country codes are either two or three chars,
>> BIC(SWIFT) codes are 8 or 11 chars, and IBAN codes are, by definition,
>> max. 34 chars - anything above these numbers would represent an error and
>> would make no sense to store.

> If you are not using a lookup table for this then you have issues.  I will
> hand you this one I suppose, so lookup tables may in certain circumstances
> be limited.  We are assuming here that we suspect the user will be writing
> books in the country code fields if we don't get out the handcuffs?

Oh please don't hand it to me. Someone asked for a reason to limit
text length in text fields; this is one.

>> Here, no city name is longer than 20 chars and no street name is longer
>> than 34 chars.

> Today.

And tomorrow too. If street names were longer than that they would
cause overflow in many systems and, indeed, not be printable on most
address labels, thus the name would be shortened for any practical
purpose.
Someone asked for a reason to limit text length in text fields; this
is one more.

>> Thus 50 is a reasonable limit for domestic address lines which, by the way,
>> is also what Access's table designer suggests.

> Do I look impressed with what Access table designer suggests?

It doesn't suggest much more than some default zeroes and so. And this
one which smells of common sense - nothing more, nothing less.

/gustav