[AccessD] On DB Bloat, Bad DB Design, and various

DWUTKA at marlow.com DWUTKA at marlow.com
Wed May 26 17:37:12 CDT 2004

There ya go, throwing fuel on the fire! <evilgrin>

Actually, it's kind of a battle over 'bad practice' again.  JC and I have
both been burned (In my case several times, within just the past few months)
by a previous developer setting some arbitrary field size limit.  However,
the only issue we have heard so far with setting it to 255 was Charlotte had
a Query too complex error, which is intriguing, to say the least.  But I
haven't heard other incidents like that, so it may have been an isolated
incident.

However, unlike issues like bound/unbound, pk's, and the more recent lookup
fields, this is an issue which directly affects a users ability to enter
data, into a DATAbase.  This isn't theory, or ease of use, or handy tools,
it's a control that actually limits the entire purpose of a database.

Oh well, just another issue to debate I guess.  LOL.

Drew