[AccessD] On DB Bloat, Bad DB Design, and various

DWUTKA at marlow.com DWUTKA at marlow.com
Wed May 26 18:28:38 CDT 2004

Ugh.  No, that is not where that argument goes.  You are building them a
tool in Access.  Access suffices for their needs.  Why limit them even
further?  If it makes you happy, set the field limit to 254, if you don't
want to set it to Access' maximum.  The point is, if you think that you'll
probably never go over 50, so you set it at 55, to give yourself 5 extra
characters, why not go the entire way, IN ACCESS, and just use 255.  If you
think it is going to be an issue with reporting, or whatever, if someone
puts in more then 50 characters, include data validation that tells the user
that an Address, or Name, or whatever field it is, of that length may not
display properly in some reports.

Please stop bringing up the move to SQL server, it's getting very redundant,
and it isn't the point I am trying to make (nor JC).

Drew