[AccessD] On DB Bloat, Bad DB Design, and various

DWUTKA at marlow.com DWUTKA at marlow.com
Wed May 26 18:47:21 CDT 2004

The users just go and get more gas, eh?  So now you are letting your users
go in and change the field size of a table?  Why set the limit in the first
place, if you have users that not only are allowed to change the field size,
but also know how to do it?

Just out of curiousity, how many times have you been called, because someone
set a field size limit to 255, and the users couldn't enter their data?  Not
theory, how many actual times.

In the past 3 months, I have had 3 incidents were a db built by a previous
developer had field size limits, which I had to increase, because the users
were entering more data into the field.  On top of that, most of what I had
done was either new data entry screens, or reporting screens, and both of
those worked just fine with the new 'length' of the data, it was just the db
that couldn't store what they wanted.

Now, assuming (cause it's a pretty safe assumption) that you have never had
a user complain they couldn't put what they needed into a 255 character
field, how do you think the previous developer looked, when I come in, and
say, 'Yep, whoever built this set the maximum field length to 35
characters.', which I then get replied 'Why did he/she do that?', and what
do I answer? 'Got me, guess they figured that's all you needed'.  What do
you think those clients think of their original developers?

Drew