[AccessD] File Slice/Splice

Jürgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Wed May 26 21:38:21 CDT 2004

I have had no list mail since Charlotte's mail on this topic explaining to
Arthur question about why my code should be trusted.  It's been 8 hours
since I've received any list mail.  Using Drew's archive I found Marty's
link:

http://www.vbcode.com/asp/showsn.asp?theID=4718

which was easily adapted to my purposes.  That code assumed but did not show
a few command buttons and a textbox and a combo box and used conventional VB
syntax (referring to the text property of a textbox and checking for ""
rather than null, and using additem and a named listindex for the combo).  I
made minor changes adding my own API browse for files to adapt it to typical
Access 97 code and it works perfectly on files that I tried it with.

The code is very nice, stores away the file extension in a file header
together with the number of file pieces and automatically names the file
with a numeric incrementing extension.  Reassembly merely requires one to
pass the path and name of the first file piece.  It's a bit slower than I
expected but it appears to work well and I'll spend a bit of time this
weekend mulling over what I was doing wrong.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta
jwelz at hotmail.com