[AccessD] Debits and Credits

Michael R Mattys michael.mattys at adelphia.net
Fri May 28 11:19:37 CDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arthur Fuller" <artful at rogers.com>
To: "'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'"
<accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 11:39 AM
Subject: [AccessD] Debits and Credits

> >> There is nothing to indicate dr or cr.
>
> Does anyone happen to know the origin of "dr"? It's always puzzled me --
> an unlikely abbreviation of "debit". Not important, just wondering.
>
> And incidentally, why are terrorists always credited with their acts,
> rather than debited?
>
> Arthur

Debit and Credit come from Latin words Debitir and Creditir
meaning left and right, respectively.

They do not mean increase or decrease, rather it is the act of
making an accounting entry on the left side or the right side.
If they were reversed, it wouldn't matter to an accountant using
the double-entry system.

Assets = Liabilities + Owner's Equity
dr|cr    =     dr|cr    +        dr|cr

If the left side of an account is greater than the right side,
it has a debit balance. If the right is greater, it is a credit balance.

----

Michael R. Mattys
Mattys MapLib for Microsoft MapPoint
http://www.mattysconsulting.com