[AccessD] Runtime Limitations?

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Fri May 28 12:59:08 CDT 2004

Nope you can call or bind most com objects.
By either early binding by setting a reference and dimensioning and
setting the object
or by late binding using  getobject createobject. The problem being the
references may not be correct
for another.machine using early binding but you can use intellisense to
look up methods in design mode.
However  you can more easily trap for errors using late binding but
slower intial execution.
It is a swings and merrygoaround difference. Your choice.

CodeDb Function Example, assume say you have an addin code library in an
MDE file and call one of its functions.
The CodeDB statement determines the name of the database mde or mbd file
where the running  code resides.
If you don't do this it will assume that the table resides in the
calling mdb.

The following example uses the CodeDb function to return a Database
object that refers to a library database. The library database contains
both a table named Errors and the code that is currently running. After
the CodeDb function determines this information, the GetErrorString
function opens a table-type recordset based on the Errors table. It then
extracts an error message from a field named ErrorData based on the
Integer value passed to the function.

Function GetErrorString(ByVal intError As Integer) As String
    Dim dbs As Database, rst As RecordSet

    ' Variable refers to database where code is running.
    Set dbs = CodeDb
    ' Create table-type Recordset object.
    Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordSet("Errors", dbOpenTable)
    ' Set index to primary key (ErrorID field).
    rst.Index = "PrimaryKey"
    ' Find error number passed to GetErrorString function.
    rst.Seek "=", intError
    ' Return associated error message.

    GetErrorString = rst.Fields!ErrorData.Value
    rst.Close
End Function

--
Marty Connelly