[AccessD] Adding history cycles of data

Kath Pelletti KP at sdsonline.net
Tue Nov 9 19:54:49 CST 2004

I need to add a historic reporting cycle to an existing database. The BE currently has around 65 tables.

The FE has around 150 queries, and approx the same no. of forms, with approx 40 reports.

The decision has been made to store some historic data, so on a quarterly basis I need to create 6 new tables of data which will be held permanently in the BE, ie. 6 x 4 quarters = 24 new tables per year.

This system also has a linked mdb called Update.mdb to allow me to rollout updates automatically, as well as a linked web mdb which holds data which gets uploaded to the website.

As I work for myself, before I create this new logic to create 6 new tables per quarter, I wanted to run this by the list - is there any argument for storing these history tables outside the main BE? Is there any advantage to creating 6 large history tables with dates, rather than 6 per quarter? If you were needing to add a historic cycle to a system, would you use the approach I am suggesting? I have worked hard to keep this system running fast and the clients are happy with the speed - so I don't want to slow it down...

(And does anyone have some code to create tables directly into the BE and link them straight back to the initiating FE?)

TIA
Kath