[AccessD] A2003: Design Question

Darren DICK d.dick at uws.edu.au
Mon Nov 15 19:03:48 CST 2004

Hi Team
I Have a dB that holds data for both Clients (tblClients) and Franchises
(tblFranchises)

The tblClients holds all the usual client detail stuff - ClientID is the PK
(Autonumber)
tblFranchises holds various bits of information about any particular
franchise - FranchiseID is the PK (Autonumber)

So essentially 2 entity groups within the dB.

BUT my client does work for both the Franchises and individual Customers.
In order to present both of them in a TimeBilling Screen I use a union query
to 'merge' both
groups into a single combo

The problem is storing the PK correctly. eg say I select the 4th Franchise
in the list - it has a PK of 4
Well an entry on the client side will also have a PK of 4.

I am tossing up with various ways to deal with this including merging both
tables into one
table and just setting a flag to differentiate Clients from Franchises.
Of course I can have separate fields in the tblTimeBilling for FranchiseID
and for ClientID.

Just not sure what would be a sleek solution :-))

I am sure this is a common type of thing - I just wanted to know some
methods on
how you guys deal with this sort of design question.

Many thanks

Darren