[AccessD] Objects won't close after binding a form

Phil Jewett pjewett at bayplace.com
Wed Nov 17 11:51:24 CST 2004

I had an unbound form with a handful of subforms that was working fine -
nothing fancy.  All the other forms in the mdb are regular bound forms
and they work fine.  I then bound the unbound form to a table and added
a few fields.  The form worked fine, except that the form won't close -
the Close button does nothing.  The form does not hang - it just won't
close.  If I try to switch to design mode, I get the error message:

You can't switch to a different view at this time.  Code was executing
when you tried to switch views.

If I then open up any other object (form, table) the Close buttons on
them don't work either!  But if I hit the Close button on the database
window, the other windows (not the database window) will then close -
one at a time, including the problem form.  Very odd.

If I unbind the form, the problem sometimes, but not always, goes away.
Sometimes the form won't even close from design view.  I've tried
backups, exporting the objects to a blank mdb, compacting, etc.  The
problem is wonderfully reproduceable!  I suppose I can just stay with
the unbound form, but I hate to build a system with a suspect mdb.

Using Access 2000 SP3 with SQL Server 2000.

Phil Jewett