[AccessD] Caller ID and Access

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 1 13:00:11 CST 2004

 From a few years back
You will have to use TAPI, your modem need's to support caller ID
Ughh, you are in Italy so you may have to check the format of caller id
North America had half a dozen standards from the various Telco's in Mid
90's
It was a mess.
It is essentially about 55 bytes of data being  sent between the first
and second  ring of the phone
It can be more data, there are a couple of formats some included the
callers name and blocking info in addition to the number.
I can't remember if there is now an established ISO standard
I did this back in 99.

What I would do is try the trial version of Mountain Sys on your
telephone system and modem
It is only $15 a client, but you could roll your own code via Tapi after
getting a format from your
Telco but maybe they have standardized format  by now in Italy.

  Companies that seem to handle callerid connections to Access.

   Mountain Systems   http://www.mtnsys.com

    CallAudit Software has sample Access 97 & 95 database with
      trial software that connects thru DDE.

   There are a lot of others.
   From Mountain System FAQ buried in there

How to Test a MODEM for Caller ID Support
Caveats.

 Necessary equipment

   * Caller ID Service From your local telephone company
   * A Voice MODEM or hardware device that supports Caller ID

  Just about every MODEM disables Caller ID as the default.

  For most MODEMs, the string AT#CID=1 or AT#CLS=8#CID=1 will enable
   Caller ID.

  If Caller ID is not working, you will only see the word RING for
  each incoming ring.

   The most common result, when Caller ID data works, is the following:

     RING

     DATE = xxxxx

     TIME = xxxx

     NMBR = xxxxxxxxx

     NAME = xxxxxxxx

     RING

     RING …

   There are other formats as well. The key point is that other data
   generally appears between the first and second rings.

   Some telephone companies, especially in Canada, ship Caller ID data in
   different formats, Check the software handles this.

  TAPI support for Caller ID was added after Windows 95 was released.
  Microsoft has an updated version of UniModemV on their Web page that
  includes Caller ID support. The .INF file for your MODEM also needs to
  modified to take advantage of this support, and some modems do not
  yet have this capability.

  Windows NT 3.X does not include any support for TAPI. Although Windows
  NT 4.0 does.

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.