[AccessD] Forms in Word / Excel

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 7 08:47:36 CST 2004

On 6 Nov 2004 at 23:13, John W. Colby wrote:

> I understand that you can use forms in Word, Excel and other Office
> apps. How capable are they?  Do they have the same "code behind form"

Becareful with the word Forms in Word. There are several things that
are called forms in Word. There are "Fill-In-Forms" wich is just a
Word doc with fields in the doc that you fill in.

Then there are UserForms, which is what I think you are asking about.
They are similar to Access Forms, but more closely behave like VB
Forms.

> class for writing code in?  Do the form controls have events in the

Yes, the Userforms, which are available in Excel too, have class
modules.

> same manner as Access?  Are Withevents available?  Are classes

Yes., but the more closely resemble VB controls.
WithEvents are available from Office 97 Up, IIRC.

> available, and if so, where are they stored?

Yes, classes are available, but where they are stored depends.
Word Document that you add the class too have the class stored in the
.doc file.
Word Templates that you add classes to have the class stored in the
.dot file.
Word Docuemnts that you create from a template that has classes in
the template have the class stored in the .dot.

Excel Workbooks that you add classes to have the classes stored in
the .xls file

Excel Templates that you add classes to have the classes stored in
the .xlt file

Excel Workbooks that you create from Excel Templates that have
classes have the classes stored in the .xls file. IOW, all the code,
userforms, etc from an Excel template gets copied into the new
workbook you create. It can be a real PITA.

How's that for a start and to raise more questions :)

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Following the rules will not get the job done.