[AccessD] Selecting Languages - English or Spanish or Something

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Mon Nov 22 17:18:16 CST 2004

1. There are a pair of classic sentences that are used frequently to
derail machine translators:
a) Bill sent me a bill which I forwarded to Bill.
b) Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
(This one I capitalized to help you through it, although it still takes
some work. To save you the trouble.... there is an English verb, to
buffalo. It means to baffle, or perhaps to bullshit. As in, when the
client asked question X, I buffaloed her. A particular variation on said
action is known as the Buffalo buffalo. This is a version particular to
the city -- as opposed to say the New Orleans buffalo. So, certain
buffalo who happen to reside in Buffalo do the Buffalo buffalo to other
buffalo who also happen to reside in Buffalo.)

There are many other variants on this problem, and to give my source
credit they can be found in Steve Pinker's classic book "The Language
Instinct". (For those unfamiliar with it and who also happen to wonder
what the hell Noam Chomsky was on about, said book contains the most
concise explication of Noam's basic theory that I have ever read.) Here
are a few more nuggets for your translation-machine:

Deer Kill 180,000
Queen Mary Having Bottom Scraped

And of course, the old saw, from Marx (Groucho not Karl), "Time flies
like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."

An even more remarkable one, also courtesty Mr. Pinker.... here are 2
sentences, each spoken by a different person (presumably married to each
other):

a. I'm leaving you.
b. Who is he?

This one is my favourite. The other ambiguities are resoluble by parsing
the sentence in question carefully. But this latter is remarkable in that:
a) none of the words assembled convey a larger meaning (as is the case,
for example, in "The New York Yankees").
b) all of the words assembled convey no inherent meaning (you have to
assume a HUGE amount of cultural baggage in order to interpret this
conversation; further, you have to assume certain mores, certain
cultural perspectives, certain sexual preferences and so on, in order to
make any sense of this snippet of conversation -- i.e. regardless of the
gender of A, we can deduce that A is only interested in males, but that
may be a faulty deduction; A could be bisexual and B unaware of this; it
is also possible that A is leaving B not for someone else but simply
because living with B is intolerable; and so on). IOW, virtually NONE of
the meat in this conversation is contained either in the individual
words or in their assemblage; ALL of the meaning is contained in the
minds (and by extension the cultures) of the speakers.

I have a lot of European friends, and almost all of them have commented
at one time or another on the elasticity of English. Consider the word
"fuck". It can be used in so many ways that it boggles the minds of
newcomers to the English language. I fucked a lovely woman last night. I
fucked a business competitor this morning. I tried to repair my
motorcycle but fucked it up. Fuck you! Fuck that! Fuck you and the horse
you rode in on. Fuck me. And so on.

There's a common (and I might add falacious) maxim that the Inuit have
28 words for snow. This is true only in the sense that we have 100 words
for cigarette or automobile (Honda Prelude, Dodge Caravan, etc.) The
example cited above is the opposite phenomenon, as exemplified by
another old riddle: Why is making love in a canoe like drinking
Budweiser? Because it's fucking close to water.

Insofar as writing remains utterly ambiguous (a pretty tough
proposition, but let's let that pass), then translation-engines have a
slim chance of accuracy. To the extent that language is a joy, a thing
to be savoured, played with, caressed, teased and fondled, then
machine-translation has virtually no chance of success. If we go no
further than translating "File | Open..." then we may be safe; ditto for
various error messages.... but even there, I have to point out that once
I taught a course, one of whose students was confined to a wheelchair,
and when a message came up saying something like "Invalid parameter",
she said, "I'm an invalid." Which in turn led me to consider what a
horrid word that was to describe people in her condition. Such persons
are not invalid; they are just as valid as you and me.

Yet another example. A close friend and colleague of mine, from Britain,
gave me a copy of his new software to test. A couple of days later he
asked me what I thought of it. I replied, "Not bad!". In Canada this is
a compliment. In Britain this means that I couldn't find anything truly
despicable to say about it, but was overall underwhelmed. His look of
shock make me realize a cultural gap here of serious proportions.

Chevrolet at one point release an automobile called "Nova". In Spanish
this means "Does not go." (Neuve is the word for New.)

All of which goes to say, do not trust translation-machines. If you need
to translate, find a human.

One final example, taken from the annals of machine-translation
literature. They had an English to Russian translator and its opposite.
They fed in an English sentence, translated it to Russian, and then
translated it back.

a) The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.
b) The vodka is good but the meat is rotten.

Arthur