[AccessD] barcode and in stock managment

Jim Hewson JHewson at karta.com
Wed Oct 27 08:43:52 CDT 2004

A couple of years ago, we wanted to use barcodes for specimens used in evaluating inspectors.
After much research on the code to generate the barcode, we purchased a barcode reader.
After we purchased the barcode reader, we realized how simple it was.
The barcode reader came with the code to generate the barcode and instructions on how to scan the items.
In hindsight, we should have bought the barcode reader first, then if needed, do the research to generate the barcode.
My recommendation is to decide which barcode reader you want to use first.
The information that comes with the barcode reader might just have all the information you need.
In Access the easiest barcode to use is called Code 39, which is easily downloaded as a font. As a font, it can be used for any alphanumeric character and can be printed on labels, forms, etc.

The barcode reader we purchased acted like any input device.  Whatever field the cursor is in, is where the data is placed.

HTH
Jim H.