[AccessD] Required Field in Function

Hollis,Virginia HollisVJ at pgdp.usec.com
Thu Sep 2 07:39:04 CDT 2004

I have a function (code below) that is used to append data from a linked
Excel file (xlsBPS). The Excel file is linked to the database as a table.
There is a column in the Excel file named AssetID - this is a required field
in the database. Yesterday when the user ran the append code the AssetID was
blank in one of the records in the xlsBPS file. This caused all the records
to move up one. For example:

Record 1: AssetID =

Record 2: AssetID = ABC

The results after the append code ran were:

Record 1: AssetID  = ABC

What can I add to the function to check for null fields to ensure the
AssetID is completed, if not, the code does not run? I tried adding a check
(where I added the ***** in the code, but I receive the error, RunTime 424,
Object Required.

Virginia

Function AppendBPS()

'Appends new data from xlsBPS to tblFailure, tblSystemMain, and
tblFailureTimeSelected.

    Beep

    Title = "Append new BPS data from Excel"

    ' Work Order table import.

    Msg = "Your are about to modify data in this database."

    Msg = Msg & " Do you want to continue?"

    DgDef = vbQuestion + vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton1    ' Describe dialog
box.

    Response = MsgBox(Msg, DgDef, Title)    ' Get user response.

    If Response = vbYes Then    ' Evaluate response

********        If IsNull(xlsBPS.AssetID) Then
*******************************

*******     MsgBox "Asset ID must be completed before downloading"

********    Cancel = True

******* End If

        DoCmd.SetWarnings False

        DoCmd.Echo False, "Appending Data"

        DoCmd.Hourglass True

        'Append data to tables

        DoCmd.OpenQuery "qry_AppendBPS_tblSystemMain", acNormal, acEdit
'Open append query for tblSystemMain

        DoCmd.OpenQuery "qry_AppendBPS_tblFailures", acNormal, acEdit 'Open
append query for tblFailures

        DoCmd.OpenQuery "qry_AppendBPS_tblFailureTimeSelected", acNormal,
acEdit 'Open append query for tblFailureTimeSelected

        DoCmd.Echo False, "Appending new data"

        DoCmd.Echo True

        DoCmd.Hourglass False

        Beep

        MsgBox "All done!"

        DoCmd.SetWarnings True

        DoCmd.OpenForm "frmSystemFailure", acNormal, "qryStatusPending", ,
acFormEdit, acWindowNormal

        'DoCmd.Quit

    Else

       ' You chose No or pressed Enter.