[AccessD] MS Access to VB6 or VB.net

Griffiths, Richard R.Griffiths at bury.gov.uk
Mon Sep 13 04:20:05 CDT 2004

Hi Group

After advice and thoughts.  I have a piece of commercial software (library s/ware for schools) written with A97 FE and BE.  I am about to rewrite and can't decide over VB6 FE/A2K(DAO) BE or VB.net FE / A2K BE.(reason for change to VB as opposed to MS Access is that the VB footprint will be smaller 1-2mb [easier to email/download and manage than my 12-13 mb Access FE]).

On one hand the VB6 route will be quicker to develop (no learning curve) and I think to deploy. On the other hand VB.Net is the future (most likely!!)(and learning and developing in this will be more interesting and will spur me on) but I am concerned (mainly) about deployment as my users are not very IT literate and their pc's (at this time) are not up-to-date (some W95 many W98 32-64mb ram - I know .net is no go on W95).  So deployment of .net requires not only the framework but they need minimal Data Access 2.7, IE 5.01, Windows installer etc also installed.  But 6-12 months down the line I don't want to be in the posistion that having used VB6 to then consider rewriting in Vb.net.

What I can't gauge here is how significant these issues are (and any other issues).  So what I am hoping to get here is how you would approach this conundrum - tried and tested VB6 or new VB.net?

Thanks

Richard