[AccessD] Flattening out a child table

Colby, John JColby at dispec.com
Thu Sep 30 08:40:01 CDT 2004

I have a data export that I need to do.  An "Advise to Pay" (ATP) tells the
insurer to pay on a claim, how much and for how long.  Part of that
information will be Offsets to the payment.  Pay this amount gross, but
deduct this amount and this amount and this amount.  The offsets consist of
a code (type of offset), offset from date, offset to date and amount of the
offset.  Since the offsets are in a child table to ATP, any advise to pay
can have from zero to unlimited offsets.

I am taking this data - Claim, claimant, ATP and Offset - and inserting it
into a single record where there are repeating fields (denormalized
obviously) for things like the offsets.  The export format gives me 16 sets
of fields (code / from date / to date / amount) into which I can insert up
to 16 offsets, which realistically is more than I need.

My question is, can this be done only in SQL or am I going to need to build
a temporary table to put this in and run a program to pull the data from the
offset records and jam it into sequential offset "slots" in the temp table?
I can't for the life of me envision SQL able to flatten out n to 16 offsets
into repeating field groups in this manner.  For one record, yea, for N ATP
records...  It seems this is a crosstab kind of thing but my brain just
isn't kicking out the solution this AM.

John W. Colby
The DIS Database Guy