[AccessD] A2K ideas on Order Entry

DWUTKA at marlow.com DWUTKA at marlow.com
Tue Sep 7 11:32:20 CDT 2004

I was referring to unbound forms because in the business logic structures I
have built, the business logic is built into stand along classes.  These
classes can then be used by any form.  So the classes let the forms
interact.  Yes, you can put events into bound forms, but you don't have the
same 'interaction' then.

For instance, in Francisco's original message, he could get around his
particular issue by creating an event for his main form, which he can sink
into his popup form, so when he triggers that event, the popup form receives
it, and acts appropriately.

In my case, I built the entire structure that way, so one interaction is
seen by all that need it.

Here's an example.  I built in Inventory Class.  This class can be used to
add inventory items, create inventory transactions, modify inventory items,
etc. etc.  Anything and everything to do with the inventory system required
by the business logic.  So now I build a few forms.  One to add/modify
inventory items (not actual transactions, but item definitions), on for
inventory transactions.  Now I also have a Site class (where inventory
goes/comes from, during transactions).  Same principle, it handles all of
the interactions with Sites.  The inventory transaction form uses both the
Inventory class and the Site class.  There is also a Site Add/Edit form.
All three forms work independantly, however, due to the events within the
classes, when something is done that 'could' affect another class, then
events are raised, and any open form that uses that class is notified.

I know this could still be done strictly with bound forms, but I think the
unbound approach is cleaner.  In the example above, I would need to
reference two forms, to capture any/all changes to the inventory (and if I'm
making a third form, I would have to go back and modify the first two forms
to handle the third), where as the central class method handles it all by
itself.  No going back to modify other forms, new forms can be built
whenever needed, and all of the existing forms need not be aware of them,
since they all work off of the same Inventory object.

Okay, nuff said, cause we don't need another bound/unbound discussion.

Drew