[AccessD] Limiting User Navigation to Forms

Paul Strauss Paul at PStrauss.net
Sat Sep 25 22:17:29 CDT 2004

>I have about 50 users in 10 different departments.  Based on the user
>network login id, I want to limit the users ability to open up various
>forms - for instance, someone in the QA department would receive a "you
>are not authorized to open this form" message box  when they try to open
>up the AS departments data entry forms.  I don't want to have to code in
>each form that needs limitations an on open event to evaluate the id's
>and let those authorized through.  Has anyone built a table to hold
>network logins with passwords that are evaluated on form openings?

What I do in this situation is to not even show them the button to open the
form. Why let them try to open the form, just to get a nany-nany-b00-boo
message? Seriously, if you are trying to keep their mits off a form, the
first line of defense is to not even let them know that there is something
that they can't do. Showing them that there is something to do, but then
blocking them, is bound to look like a challenge to some people. Even if
they don't have anything sinister in mind, you still don't want them trying
to break your security.

Regards,
Paul Strauss