[AccessD] Acc used to resolve SQL Svr Excel prb

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Sep 26 03:40:35 CDT 2004

Hi William

> Am I correct to assume that within the context of sql server data transfers that

> 1.)  An Excel spreadsheet is updateable but Not insert/deletable.

You can update and, if empty rows are present, add records.
No deletes. However, you can write a simple erase function looping
through the rows and the fields of these clearing these by setting the
value to Null. Indeed, for an attached table (see next) this is very
easy and fast.

> 2.)  While the driver is fairly recent, Excel data can be only be
> pulled by worksheet, not pushed.

Not quite sure what you mean. If you attach a worksheet or - the
preferred method - a Named Range, you can read and write data in both
Access and Excel.

> 3.)  Because the requirement that  four worksheets stay intact in
> each Workbook, the destructive refresh imposes a requirement that
> four Access tables must be used by a macro or some other auto
> process to reconstruct four worksheets.  In my humble yet slightly
> uncertain opinion.

The fastest way to "refresh" a workbook is simply to delete it
completely and create a new copy from a master which is never touched.
Also, this ensures that your workbook never gets bloated or corrupted
by multiple writings. If you need to keep the old data, just rename
the workbook (and move it to an archive folder) instead of deleting
it.

> I'm good to go on the Access app used as a container to push/ be
> pulled, but I'm wondering if I overlooked anything.  Temp tables are
> not the favored method either, so this option would be a last
> resort.  The data has to be somewhat 'linked' to the file that is
> generated each week.

Temp tables can be very useful. It is much faster to manipulate data
in a temp Access/Jet table and - when ready - copy the data to the
attached Excel tables. Just keep the temp tables in a separate file
which you - as for the workbook - can replace by a new and empty copy
of a master each week.

/gustav