[AccessD] Vehicle maintenance database (cross posted)

dmcafee at pacbell.net dmcafee at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 8 13:44:57 CDT 2005

I was given a task to quickly come up with a vehicle maintenance schedule
database. before I get further, I was wondering if anyone already has
something in place.

If not, this is what I have so far:

tblModels:
	ModelID PK
	Model (Camaro, Corvette)

tblAutoMfg
	AutoMfgID PK
	AutoMfg (Chevrolet, Honda)

tblMfgModels
	MfgModelID PK
	AutoMfgID FK
	ModelID FK

tblYears
	YearID PK
	ModelYear (2005, 2004, 2003...)

tblAutoYears
	AutoYearID PK
	YearID FK
	MfgModelID FK

I'm looking at schedules that can be either light duty or heavy duty
The maintenance schedules can also be either date based or mileage (or
kilometer based).

Something like Oil Changes, every 3000 miles or 3 months. But some items
have only date based services and others have only mileage based service
intervals.

I was thinking something like
tblMaintenanceTasks
MaintTaskID
MaintTask (Oil Change, Rotate Tires...)

tblIntervals
IntervalID
Interval (3, 3000, 7500...)
IntervalTypeID

tblIntervalType
IntervalType (Miles, Months)

But I was also thinking of making tblIntervals, a little less normalized,
something like:
tblIntervals
IntervalID
IntervalMiles
IntervalKilos
IntervalMonths

I have also not been told if we will be drilling down into sub model type
(i.e. Mustang GT, Mustang LX), so for now, I am assuming that I will be
relating these suggested service maintenance intervals to tblAutoYears.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
David McAfee