[AccessD] Access 101 question (I think)

John Clark John.Clark at niagaracounty.com
Thu Apr 28 13:35:30 CDT 2005

I am whipping up a quick program, and there are many "descriptors" in
the main table (i.e. hair, eyes, status, race, etc.). My question is
this:

Should I have an individual table for each descriptor? This is the way
I mostly do it now. I put in value lists for something like "gender,"
which will most likely stay the same (I don't want to think about the
"what ifs" here). But for other things, I like to leave it open for the
user to input. I then give them a button for "Program Administration"
and a bunch of little forms, which are basically prettied-up continuous
forms, to enter these options.

This actually came in handy, on one of my previous programs. Their
"Race" designations were altered, about a year after they began using
the program...asian was split into sub-groups...and they were able to go
in and change this without my help.

I was just wondering whether this is considered acceptable practice, or
if I am being a bit retentive here.

TIA

John W Clark