[AccessD] How to learn Access

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Thu Apr 7 11:34:43 CDT 2005

What is he trying to learn, how to program it or just how to use it?
You can do a lot with access just using the wizards but competence in
development takes a lot more work and time.  The Microsoft Press Access
Step-By-Step books will provide the essentials of how to use it and make
the wizards work for you.

Relational design is another level of learning.  I was reading database
developers journals before I ever started working with Access, and
believe me, it helps.  The O'Reilly book, Access Database  Design &
Programming, has a good overview on relational theory and normalization,
and I recommend it highly to all Access newcomers.  I've never been able
to use newsgroups to any good effect, so I wouldn't recommend those.
This list or the sister list, Access-L, is a good place to lurk but can
be overwhelming for a total newcome.  Woody's Lounge at www.wopr.com has
a large and active Access board with a good search implementation and
questions (and answers) from all levels of skill.

The dissection method is a good way to figure out how someone else did
it and then back into the why.  That's how I originally learned dBase
back in its infancy, and it's still a useful technique.

Charlotte Foust